Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Open Water Diver



It is official!!! I have completed my open water scuba diving training and am certified. It was such a great experience. I had to go on two seperate days to finish my 4 dives. My instructor took me to a place called Port Noarlunga where there is a long jetty whith a reef at the end of it. We had to suit up in the parking lot with our tanks on our backs and all of our gear on (including the weights) and walk about 1 km to the end of the jetty. On the first dive he took me for a swim so that I was comfortable in the salt water and with all of the new surroundings. The only thing I kept thinking was HOLY CRAP I am really doing this and that salt water tastes like double zout droppies (which I don't understand how anyone can suck on those for pleasure...feel free to debate)!!! The visibility was really poor, only about 5 meters and there was a really strong current so it made it a little difficult to swim straight. But at the end of the jetty he opened a razor fish and had me feed it to all of the rest of the fish. They all were coming full speed at my head and kind of nibbling on my fingers. Along the reef we could stop and read some plaques that they had underwater to tell you about the reef. That felt a little wierd because you are sitting there reading underwater and the only sounds around you are of your own breathing which sounds like Darth Vador and a dingy zipping by above you. On the second dive I had to do more of my skills and we cut it kind of short because of the current. The second day was totally different, the water was crystal clear and there was no current. Matt came with us and had an underwater camera...hence all of the pictures. We had such a great time even though someone had spotted a shark just outside of the reef! (Mom, forget I said that part) It is weird to think how comfortable you can become breathing underwater and having all of this whole new world come alive around you. I can't wait to see what the Great Barrier Reef has to offer us. The fish here alone where beautiful and bright in color. Matt is right when he says that snorkeling is just window shopping...it's just a tease.














2 comments:

Rachel said...

Cool...glad to hear it. I am going to get mine near Townsville...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates. Glad to hear you guys are having such a wonderful time. We look forward to the slide show! Love you.

Mic, Scott and Aylah.