Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Freakin' out on a Saturday night part I


Well well well, I officially had a very VERY "freaked out" freak out session on saturday starting at around 3:15 and carrying on late into the night. Friends and family were there to witness and help calm me down, with a special shout out to my boys Trevor Linden, and Pete the plumber - Thanks!

I guess that I should preface this blog with the reason why I freaked out, you see my wife and I are expecting a little baby over the next year... that is right you heard it right, we are pregnant and having a child. So before the wise cracks start, yes my boys can swim and apparently very well as all it took was one try. So that is the background info to the story, shall we begin.

I awoke on a cool but sunny saturday morning and rolled over to see if my wife was awake or still sleeping. As per normal she was sleeping as evidenced by an adorable little baby like snore> I slipped out of bed and went to the kitchen to make us some breakie, eggs and toast. When my wife finally rose from her slumber, we sat and ate our food over some tea and conversation about what our day would entail.

As the day started to warm up and the sun beat down hotter and hotter on the earth, we decided to talk a nice walk in griffith woods. It was a short drive later that we found ourselves hand in hand walking on the paths through the unique woods that is simply know as "Griffith". We passed numerous people, saying the mandatory and obligatory hellos, with an occasional "wha sup" nod thrown in to single men walking or running passed. It was here that my freak out began to grow and fester. You see we walked past a couple, but not just any couple, a VERY pregnant couple. The woman looked liked she was litterally about to bust and I may have even saw some amniotic fluid on the path, without proper testing I couldnt be sure. Then it hit me, that is going to be us in 9 months... wait a minute we already are 3 months pregnant. With a little quikc math in my head, that left us with only 6 months to prepare. The sweat from walking and the sun was now being joined by the sweat of terror and fear. What have we gotten ourselves into, we cant handle this, we cant even handle ourselves. How are we going to be able to bring a child into the world and be able to handle it. And not only that, but we have just throw the first 3 months away and done nothing to prepare. I began to glisten.

A short time later, as we were walking, I calmly looked at my wife and said "are we ready for this?" She looked at me blankly and asked "What, what arent we ready for?" "A child" was my response. The conversation carried on for the remainder of our walk as we discussed the time we had left and that we would learn as we went with the hlp of friends and family. By the end of the walk, I was quite calm, and the sweat was now simply from the heat and nothing else. I even felt brave enough to suggest that we go and look at baby stuff... first mistake.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you'll be fine as long as the baby takes its looks from mom instead of dad! Besides how hard can one kid be? I have no simpathy for people who complain about how hard their life is "now with the baby" Three isn't really that bad so one has got to be simple!

Alex said...

That is a one freaky ass picture you have up there.
Having the first kid changes your life profoundly, but we're all kinda got the tool kit built in, you just haven't had to open yours yet. It's there. I'm personally looking forward to the new Matt and Katie, it's like rebooting your friends with new software.

Mandee W said...

If Mark and I can do it, you guys definately can!!!

Anonymous said...

I dont know what these other comment leavers are on about. You are in for a wild ride my man and there is no way to be "prepared." The defining characteristic of being a parent is to be unprepared. Freakout? You should be even more freaked out than you are! Are you crazy? In six months you will no longer be 2, but three! And that makes all the difference. Your life, your time, your home, your stuff, your money, hello, your WIFE, is no longer your own. And it wont ever go back. Ever. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Of course, your heart wont be your own either. You'll be freaky deaky until you hold your new kid and then all the other losses that becoming "Daddy" entails wont mean spit anymore. Congratulations Matt. Your not in Kansas anymore.