Sunday, October 7, 2007

First real images and first kick

Well this past Thursday was quite the day. It started out, well shitty, on all accounts but would prove to end wonderfully. Work has, and continues to be stressful right now as we have so much work, and so few qualified employees to complete the work. So like always I was putting out fires and making promises that I still had to figure out how to do, and carrying on like that until about 12:30 when I went home to pick up Katie and head to our 19 week ultra sound. Well after a brief wait, I was allowed to go in the room ans see the little one for the first time since it was a "yolk sac" at 6 weeks. Well it is now a fully formed little baby that has arms legs and perfect little toes and fingers. Everything looks fine and t he baby is growing and healthy. It was extremely active and was making it hard for the tech to get the shots of the spine needed. So Katie had to get up a couple of times and get the little one to move around. We watched for 15-20 minutes or so. During it, it was moving a ton and very active, flailing its arms and legs this way and that. smiling, yawning and just active. I thought that I was all over the anatomy part of it, when the lady told me that we were looking at the heart, I thought we were looking at the head. turns out I have no idea when it comes to this stuff. Then we did the 4-D and saw it "punch" Katie, and then have a huge smile or yawn. It sort of looks like an alien, but still you can make out all the features, the lips, eyes, ears, nose, and according to the tech a "Strong jaw line" from its father. At least it has my jaw line and not my big ears (I hope). So that made my day better.





Later that night as we lay in bed, the baby was kicking Katie like crazy, but only enough to feel it on the inside. Then all of a sudden she could feel it on her belly. We laid there poking, prodding and eventually scolding (more me that Katie) the baby into kicking me when I had my hand on her belly. It was such a cool moment. First you have seen the baby inside so you know it is there, but then to feel it kick you and move around it such a different feeling. There is a baby in there, that is a part of me and is mine (that we know of so far).

So at the end of the day, work is important, but it is just work and nothing compared to the ultra sound and feeling my baby kick for the first time. As we say in the industry, "It's been one helluva day"

6 comments:

Triplet Mom said...

Love the ultrasound video! I am impressed that you could get it on your blog. I wasn't able to do that. Matt sounds like he is starting to feel the first joys of parenthood! Excellent!

Stay healthy & rested Katie!

Anonymous said...

Great blog Matt, ya big softy. I always knew you had it in you.

Katie said...

The ultrasound is so awesome. I wish my doctor office did that! Isn't it the best feeling to feel the baby moving around?

Alex said...

Um,
So!!! You're having a boy!!!
(obviously you knew that)

Triplet Mom said...

Did you find out what sex the baby was? Cause those of us viewing the blog see something!

Triplet Mom said...

This blog blows!
No updates in forever.
You are close to being taken off my "blogs to check list"
I was looking forward to seeing the Prego in person tonight but my plans have been foiled.

Stomach flu. (Given from the girls)
Get ready future parents!