Thursday, February 21, 2008

Still waiting... All the while noticing...

So we are still waiting for the arrival of our little one, and people are starting to ask when we are going to get induced and all that jazz, well we are still 11 days away so I am thinking that it is not going to be anytime soon. So while I have been waiting for this event to take place, I have been really aware of other parents, kids and things in general that pertains to raising children. It was during this last week that I heard a 911 call on the radio (Jim Rome show) that stuck with me and struck me as funny, sorry, REALLY FUNNY and yet sad (somewhat) at the same time, here it goes

A woman called 911 when she arrived home one day to find her 12 year old and 10 year old fighting, not just any fighting, but really going at it a la Layla Ali in the ring. So she comes home and immediately calls 911 to request some help/backup. She is talking with the man on the other end and tells him that her 12 year old has kicked a hole in the wall and they are still fighting uncontrollably. This is where it gets funny, or at least to me it does. The dispatcher then calmly and matter of fact states "OK, do you want us to come over and shoot her?" this is followed by and extremely awkward pause on the mothers end, which is ended when she completely berates him and ask him for his name and tells him that this is not funny, blah blah blah. Now for those of you who think that I am sick for thinking that this is freakin' hilarious hear me out and then judge away.

First of all this mother of two young girls is not able to control her our daughters and has to call 911 for help, when she calls the dispatcher sees it how I see it "What the hell does this woman expect from me, parenting lessons???" and thus replies with one of the funniest and wittiest line in the history of 911 calls. "Do you want us to shoot her?" HILARIOUS!!! If you cant see the humor and brilliance in that then I suggest you re-read this until you find it funny, or better yet find the sound byte and listen to it. The reason why i find it sad, is that this mother can not control two little girls, 10 and 12 years of age, yet when she hears the mockery in the dispatchers response she goes on full attack and gives it to him. If she was able to handle her own kids the way that she handled the "shoot her" comment I am sure this call would have never been placed in the first place. Honestly what did this woman expect from this poor guy. it is called 911 emergency for a reason, it isn't called 911 super nanny, 911 parenting hot line, or best of all 911 Dr. Phil. If you need to call the emergency number of 911 for a sibling fight, well then in my opinion that speaks volumes to your parenting skills.

Before you all jump on me about the fact that I don't have kids, and you just wait and see, and kids aren't as easy as they look... Tell me this have any of you ever EVER called 911 because your kids were having a fight? I think not. So in the end the hilarity of the call and situation completely overrides the sad parenting skills part, which just leaves this "OK, do you want us to come over and shoot her?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE it when Rome plays that! I laughed my A$# off when it was on the other day again! I may have only been a parent for a year and a half but I have 3. It amazes me, watching others, how some people have not control or parenting skills. That sound byte is just a sad look into the problem with our world today. On another note, we've called 911 twice in the last month but it was because my oldes, by 30 seconds, likes to ride in ambulances I think.

I'm sure you'll do fine.

Anonymous said...

Well the need to call '000' which is the Aussie 911 for this matter occurs regularly which i can unfortunately attest to on a personal basis. Not from my kids, but from employment status.
Either way a 22cent bullet could solve years of problems