Friday, January 25, 2008

Losing a bet to oneself

So to go along with my previous post about the Packers and not drinking. I feel that I need a reprieve from the grief I have been getting. As many of you know, I have stopped drinking alcohol from last Sunday night, until our baby arrives. I made a bet with myself that if that Packers lost to the Giants, which was like going all in with AA and getting called by 7 2, that this is what would happen. Well the unthinkable happened, 7 7 2 flop, and here we are but that is not the reason for the post.

I feel that I have been a little silly, and this has been pointed out by numerous friends. How can one make a bet with oneself and then lose??? I never thought too much about it until it was pointed out to me, that I am the only person who they know who has lost a bet to themselves. And the funny thing is, is that I usually only makes these types of bets when am I almost assured of winning. To lose to yourself is just plain ludacris, especially when it is pointed out to someone this way.

"Hey, hey come here a sec. Guess what Matt gave up drinking from now until the baby is born, and no he isnt doing it because Katie cant drink. He is doing it because he lost a bet... And get this, he lost the bet TO HIMSELF!!!" HAHAHAHA

So I come to you dear reader(s) with a dilema. I have always been proud of being a man of my word and doing what I say I am going to do no matter what. But in this case, I find that the only person I am letting down either way is, well, me. So no matter what, I am damned if I do, and damned if I don't. So I come before you wondering drink, or not to drink, that is my question...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid you already made far to big of a deal of it to turn around now, leaving you in a pile of screwedness. Hey, O'Doules is not that bad, albeit it takes like sunlight detergent in dirty dish water. :P

Tan said...

Methinks your mistake was in publicizing the "bet" on your blog. You're committed now, I'm afraid, because if you can't be true to yourself...who can you be true to? Oh...and you realize you've just jinxed an "early" or "on-time" arrival of Mini-Matt.

Anonymous said...

The monkey is hilarious! I agree w/ "tan", and just think, those first few beers after the arrival of Mini-Matt will hit you better than a couple beers do now. Just ask women who've had to give it up to have kids. You'll be a cheap date!!