Thursday, January 3, 2008

Remembering the old, then ring in the new

On some advice from a close friend and fellow blogger, I will not be bringing up any debates, Cats, annoyances or anything like that. Instead I will be giving you my list of Top seven things that have happened in the past year, and then officially say goodbye to 2007 and hello to 2008. Now I have many memories and I am sure that I am forgetting some but these are what popped into my head whilst writing.

7. The Rise of the once again great, Green Bay Packers. After 3 dismal years, the Pack are back. With the great Brett Favre at the helm heading into the playoffs as a division winner and top contender. I know this seems shallow, but hey who's list is it, that is right MINE!! GO PACK GO!!

6. Katie getting her diving certification. This has been something that has been on my most favourite things to do list: Dive in as many oceans and on as many reefs as possible before I die. Now That she is certified, I have my permanent buddy and we can go anywhere in the world. I am not only happy be extremely proud of her as I know how hard it was, but now I also see how much she enjoys it and can't wait to do it again, making it highlight worthy!

5. Good Friends, good food and good wine. Much like a friend of mine, I quite enjoy good food, good wine and good company. I have had the pleasure of getting to know and becoming closer with some friends all while enjoying good food and good wine. I count myself lucky to be able to enjoy all three things together and to have the friends who enjoy sharing the same niceties throughout the year. I can only assume and hope that 2008 will being more of the same memories.

4. Going back to Michigan, and for two reasons. It was great to see the family one last time before we have the baby. They were all excited and got to see the belly that is growing more and more each day. And also to have my first hunting experience. Again I could go into it in detail but I have already and all you need to do is read this post, Virginity Lost In Michigan, and VIOLA there you have it, my day as a hunter!

3. Taking a family trip with everyone to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. My Parents were kind enough to take the whole fam down to the DR for a week just after Christmas. Being able to spend time with the entire family in an exotic place is not something that happens everyday and will be remembered forever. Thanks Mom and Dad!

2. A pregnancy announcement from the parents to be. We are expecting a new little life into our family in the near future. After many years of not being sure if I wanted kids or not, we came to a mutual decision after our trip down under that we would like to see if we were able to have a family. Although the trying time was not as long as I would have liked, we were blessed with a quick, and thus far very good, pregnancy. I am excited beyond words about becoming a dad and hope that everything in the next little while continues to go smoothly.

1. Taking our Second honeymoon trip. We were able to travel around Australia for 5 weeks in February and March. I don't have enough time or space in the post to even get into it. But it wasn't only a highlight of this year, but one of the top highlights of my life. Spending 5 weeks with the love of my life doing everything together and experiencing new things together is something to be cherished. I will always remember this as an extreme high in my life. If you want to read more, go to these posts on my blog. Start of the trip and the finish of the trip

So for those of you who made this year a pretty damn good year, I say thank you! I hope that 2008 brings more of the same. And I am thankful for good friends, conversation, food, wine, travel and most of all my wife. Thanks 2007, and Welcome 2008!

6 comments:

Alex said...

Good list! 2007 was quite the year for you I see.. but OOoooo MAN.. this year is gonna be a doozy. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I agree w/ alex but still feel the need to make some specific comments.

7 - I agree, Go Bret Go

6 - Why do Canadians have to throw unnecessary "u"s in words? (favourite?) Oh and aren't you having a kid this year? I think diving may be put on the back burner for a while.

5 - Friends and beer are nice, wine is battery acid

4 - It is sad that you live in a state (province) where you have giant Whitetails and don't enjoy the hunting of them

3 - Parents are great, vacations are great, vacations with the entire family?? - questionable

2 - Congratulations! Life will change (I'd say "for the good" but my wife will probably read this and I'd lose my "tough" exterior)

1 - I saw that last year, looked like a riot. Great thing to do while still young and no kids.

I do like hearing about your cat escapades though. I share your disdane for the freaks!

Anonymous said...

I love cats and despise your posts about the cats. cats are smarter than humans, when I die I hope to come back as a cat.
I'm in love with cats, they are so beautiful and cute.
I'm in love with the cats.
They are fricken unreal, I love them.
They're like all the clocks, I love them.
I love cats, and I love looking at em, and I love kittens.
I love kitten things. I love things with kittens and cats on em.
Like blankets, and towels, and little bags, I love em.
Cats Fo Eva.
.

Tan said...

Matt - I know you have a disclaimer in your sidebar about spelling (I think that was you) but I must point out my favourite part of your post in which you wrote..."Viola, there you have it!" Not that I'm immune to spelling mistakes myself but this one is just too cute to pass up. Incidently, a viola is the middle voice in the violin family and voila is the French translation for "See!" - which I believe is what you meant. Anyways, thanks for becoming the first entry on my top 7 favourite spelling mistakes of 2008!

Mattie said...

Haha, I am glad that I could make you laugh. Funny that I didn't catch that one. I even thought about it as I wrote it, that it looked like the instrument and not the "Poof" that i meant it for. Just for you I am going to leave it as is. Mistakes make people who they are, we can't be perfect, what fun would that be!

The Big DC said...

Well let me tell you Mattie - being perfect is plenty of fun! HA!

Nice list! Your 2008 will look much different than 2007!

I hope to start your 2008 off by whuppin' yur ass at poker tonight.