Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The states have it right

Before all you crazy canucks go off on a tangent and oot of your freakin' minds, hear me oot first and realize that I love my home country, the land of the beaver and the true north strong and free.

What the states have right is how they treat sports. We are starting to get the picture a little bit, but we have a long ways to go. As an avid sports lover I was treated to one of the greatest pleasures one can have in life for almost 8 years. The pregame ritual of the tailgate. Now some of you may say "wait a mintue, I haev tailgated at a stamps game, or at a flames playoff game before, we know how to tailgate!!" The answer to that is a big fat resounding "NO YOU DONT!!!"

If you have ever had the priviledge of experiencing a NCAA College football game, March madness, NFL football game or MLB game you will know what I am talking about. It is not a couple thousand people who get together with a little grill and throw a ball around. It is anywhere from 30,000 to almost the entire town of Green Bay in the parking lot with full kitchen type grills and full course meals. It doesnt just start a few hours before the game, but almost the night before the game as that is when you would need to get there in order to ensure your spot.

I could go to a sporting even just for the pre-game tailgate alone. It is almost like the red mile during the tampa bay series, only it is before every home game. Perhaps the greatest tailgating takes places before College football games. I have been two a few of these and can honestly say that is one of the best times you can have. Beer, meat, sports, women and just one helluva good time.

So to you Mr USAPREGAMETAILGATERTRADITIONSTARTER!!! I not only salute you, but take my hat and the shirt off my back to you!! GAME ON USE game on, we Canadians are slowly starting to get it right, but like anything it is a work in progress. Here is to seeing My Green Bay Packers take on the Seattle Seahawks sometime this years.

PARTY ONE GARTH, party on!!

2 comments:

Alex said...

hey welcome back matt!
um, lets do tailgate party at the bowling alley!

Anonymous said...

Well done after such a long hiatus! Not only COULD you go to a game just for the tailgating, there are a lot of people who actually DO go and don't even have tickets or see the game!

I guess I didn't even realize we were so special in that. You'd think of all the things you Canucks copy us on you'd pick that. After all, you are a partying lot too!