Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Why do I exist... to Grand Theft Auto IV of course!!

This started out as a comment on sublimablogitude, it was in response to another blog but as I got to writing it took on a life of its own prompting a response post. It was the part of the post, a challenge that got me thinking. Here is the challenge

My First Thought Challenge: "The New Human"

You are a brand new human, just becoming into being. You are not a child though. You started out your human life as an adult, how you came to be is obviously NOT important here. You are standing on the ground somewhere on the earth, location not a factor, as a matter of fact, neither does your race, your sex, or the language you speak. You have no history, or at least none that you know of. The first item on your agenda (besides getting clothed) is figuring out why you exist. Where and how do you find your answer?


I was thinking about this more, and I the one thing that kept popping up in my mind was the video game Grand theft Auto IV. I am not sure why, as I have never played nor wish to play this game, but yet here I was thinking about it a lot today and the why do I as a new human, exist on this earth. I think that I would take a look around and settle into a life of crime and sin, not because this is my disposition, but because of what it acceptable in society. I know that I am going to get the old "but there are good things as well" speech, and I agree with that, but what the hell are we teaching our youth and "new humans" when a video game based on stealing, drugs, crime, having sex with prostitutes, then deciding how to kill them, and basically choosing to do everything that is wrong with society is the coolest thing since sliced bread, and possibly the friggin' wheel.

I was listening to the radio and there was a "gamer" on there (I have nothing against gamers, I am just not one of them) and he was telling the listeners that what is so awesome about the game is that you can go around doing things in the game that you shouldn't do in life... "SHOULDN'T DO..." I mean seriously shouldn't is almost like saying might not be able to, my mom doesn't want me to, I may get in trouble... how about the game lets you go around doing things that no only you cant do, forget shouldn't, but also that we as society know damn well are immoral, wrong and sinful!! Yet this game broke all the records for sales in any medium, with sales over $400 million dollars in three days.

Now I will admit, it is just a game and I fully believe that people are responsible for their own actions, but it was put to me why do I as a new human, exist on this earth. Well judging by what is acceptable and successful, I exist to grand theft auto IV I suppose. Not our brightest moment society, not our brightest moment.

2 comments:

Alex said...

GTA4 is a great game, in that it has scored 10 out of 10 on most gaming sites. It's an adult game, and it's an example of escapism through simulation, something we all do when we play board games such as oh I dunno, RISK, Command and Conquer, Axis and Allies, etc.. How fun would it be to play a game which mimics true life? Boring. Why do you think all the popular games of today involve fantasy of some sort? Cause we as adult humans are pretty darn good at playing pretend, and we like it.
I do think that GTA is a little over the top, and as a result I probably would never buy it, but don't fret about it to much, after all, it's just a game.

The Big DC said...

Gotta side with Schappy on this one.

Art imitates life in many cases, and this would be a good example.

And just because you have the capability to kill and do all kinds of other nefarious deeds in the game doesn't mean you have to. You could just as easily go about the game driving around trying to evagelize on street corners and establish a "Street Church" turf in 'hood. But be ye warned that in the game, Bibles are not nearly effective at killing people as bullets are so don't be suprised when after you've tossed your Bible at him, Carlos the Jackyl, the bloodthirsy leader of the El Polo Loco Gang doesn't buss a cap in yur ass.